About your privacy
We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors whilst providing a high quality service. If you have any questions concerning your personal information or regarding our practices, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Collection of personal data
Our primary goal in collecting personal data is to provide you with a smooth and efficient experience while using our services. This allows us to provide services and features that most likely meet your needs. We collect information from details you give us when you use our website and from any email messages you may send to us. When you use this website to register to receive additional information from us, we ask you for contact information such as your name, email address and the organisation you work for.
Anonymous data collected through this website
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application. Your web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome) then sends these cookies back to the website or application on each subsequent visit so that they can recognise you and remember things like personalised details or user preferences.
Cookies are very useful and do lots of different jobs which help to make your experience on websites as smooth as possible. For example, they let you move between web pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving your experience (see below for more examples). They are referred to as session or persistent cookies, depending on how long they are used:
• Session cookies only last for your online session and disappear from your computer or device when you close your browser. We use session cookies to remember you as you move from page to page. These cookies we deem strictly necessary to the working of the website. If these are disabled, then various functionalities on the site may be broken. For more information about session cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/cookies/session-cookies-used-for.htm
• Persistent cookies stay on your computer or device after the browser has been closed and last for the period of time specified in the cookie. These persistent cookies are activated each time you visit the site where the cookie was generated.
HOW TO CONTROL YOUR COOKIES
There are various ways that you can control and manage your cookies which are discussed in a bit more detail below. Please remember that any settings you change will not just affect this site’s cookies. These changes will apply to all websites that you visit (unless you choose to block cookies from particular sites). The settings you change will also only apply to the device on which you change them and will not apply across all your devices. If you want to opt out of cookies on all your devices, you will need to change the settings on all your devices individually.
Managing cookies in your browser
Most modern browsers will allow you to:
• See what cookies you’ve got and delete them on an individual basis.
• Block third party cookies.
• Block all cookies from being set.
• Delete all cookies when you close your browser.
You should be aware that any preferences will be lost if you delete all cookies. Ironically, this includes where you have opted out from cookies, as this requires an opt-out cookie to be set. This means that if you opt out from cookies and then delete all cookies, your opt out will not be saved and you will need to opt out again (which will store a strictly necessary cookie so that your device can remember that you have opted out).
If you block cookies completely, many websites will not work properly and some functionality on these websites will not work at all. We do not recommend turning cookies off when using our Services for these reasons.
The links below take you to the ‘Help’ sections for each of the major browsers so that you can find out more about how to manage your cookies.
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647 (opens in a new window)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/ (opens in a new window)
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Cookies (opens in a new window)
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?locale=en_GB (opens in a new window)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265 (opens in a new window)
http://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392971?hl=en-GB (opens in a new window)
Newsletters, Surveys & Contests
From time to time, our website may request information from you via newsletter sign ups, surveys, forums. Participation in these is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. We will not disclose this information to any third parties, eg a competition sponsor, without your prior consent.
Use of Personal Data
We process your personal data only for specific and limited purposes. We ask only for data that is adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes. When we ask you for personal data, we tell you the purposes for which we will process that data. Some of these purposes include:
- Processing any other requests that you make
- To summarise website usage behaviour. This is not based on individual behaviour, but is generic
Disclosure of your personal data
We do not share, sell or distribute your personal data with unrelated third parties, except under the following limited circumstances:
- Personal data may occasionally be transferred to third parties who act for or on behalf of SLS UK, or in connection with the business of SLS UK / ASCEL for further processing in accordance with the purposes to which you have subsequently consented. Please note that the information you provide may be transferred outside the European Economic Area for the purposes of processing by us or any of our subcontractors. By submitting your information, you consent to this transfer.
- We may share or transfer the information in our databases to comply with a legal requirement, for the administration of justice, to protect your vital interest, to protect the security or integrity of our databases or this website, to take precautions against legal liability, or in the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganisation, dissolution or similar event.
Data integrity and security
We keep your personal data only for as long as reasonably necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, or to comply with any applicable legal or ethical reporting or document retention requirements. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. Our servers and our databases are protected by industry standard security technology, such as industry standard firewalls and password protection.
The employees who have access to personal data have been trained to handle such data properly and in accordance with our security protocols and strict standards of confidentiality. Although we cannot guarantee against any loss, misuse, unauthorised disclosure, alteration or destruction of data, we try to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
Data access and corrections
We will disclose to you the personal data we hold about you upon receipt of your written request, email email@example.com for details. We will also correct, amend or delete any personal data that is inaccurate and notify any third party recipients of the necessary changes.
On some of the pages of this website you may see ‘social buttons’. These enable users to share or bookmark the web pages. There may be buttons for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. In order to implement these buttons and to connect them to the relevant social networks and external websites, there are scripts from domains out of www.sls-uk.org
You should be aware that these sites are likely to be collecting information about what you are doing all around the internet, including on SLS UK’s website. If you click on any of these buttons, therefore, these sites will be registering that action and may use that information. In some cases, if you are logged into their services already, these sites may be registering the fact that you are visiting SLS UK and the specific pages you are on, even if you don’t click on the button, eg Google and Facebook. You should check the respective policies of each of these sites to see exactly how they use your information and to find out how to opt out or delete such information.
External Web Services
We may use an external web service (YouTube) on the SLS UK website to display video content within our web pages. This is not the only service we might use in the future, when embedding content, but this is the most common. As with social buttons detailed above, we cannot prevent this site from collecting information on your usage of this embedded content. If you are not logged in to this external service, then they will not know who you are, but are likely to gather anonymous usage information, eg number of plays, etc.
Links to other websites